SOM #4 has come and gone and another winner emerged....a very familiar winner. The Great White Hype steps up and wins his third event, which if you're keeping count (and we are) that is three first place finishes out of four. It makes me sick. My hatred of the GWH is starting to border on that of the Lakers of the 90's and the Yankees with their ridiculous payroll. Everybody hates a winner and Pete is definately that. It can't be denied.
Tuesday night....San Dieguto Academy, six men stepped onto the court and battled in six seperate events:
Around the World
H.O.R.S.E.
Knockout
10 free throws
Free throw shooting contest a la All Star Weekend style
Pete led the way with an impressive display of shooting, catching fire and sinking the halfcourt shot on his first try. Lets just say that I had some problems with "the block" and finished second to last, barely beating Jantz with an amazing half court shot.
Knockout we played a series of five games and Pete also bested the rest of us overall. Intrigue hit when Bing's ball got stuck and he was knocked out on a questionable string of events.
Horse was won Rudy, who knocked me and Pete out with his signature kill move, a behind the back bank shot from the hated block.
Pete went 9 for 10 from the free throw line and slightly edged out Rudy who choked out 8 for 10.
And finally, with the janitor kicking us out, Pete shot the lights out and took the 3 point contest outlasting the competitors who's legs had started to give out on them.
Final tally
Pete 26
Rudy 25
Ant 16
Bing 14
Jantz 12
Zach 12...he won the tiebreaker after a shootout from the three point line. good job beating the sick guy
So Pete gets a first place and six points and leads the way overall with 20. Rudy earns a big 5 points, which he desperately needed after missing the first two challenges and still remains in last place. Ant comes up BIG and nabs 4 points and basically cements his darkhorse status climbing into second position. Bing plays himself into fourth place and gets three points. Jantz eeks out a tie with me and wins the tie and slips in a two. And me? I basically get my one point for showing up, which is one better than the zero I posted for the bowling challenge.
So after four challenges (technically 8) the standings are:
Pete 20
Ant 15
Bing 14
Jantz 12
Zach 10
Rudy 8
Pete looks pretty strong after four but before you start thinking that I'm becoming #1 fan in the Pistol Fan Club, I think the core of the story lies elsewhere. Granted Pete may be good at bowling, golfing and basketball, but I believe the competition is shitting the bed more than Pete is killing the competition. Rudy let his nerves get the best of him and went 8 for 10 shooting free throws when he routinely goes 10 for 10. He even lost to Bing in Around the World, which he reported never happened, coming in third behind Bing and Pete. Rudy didn't bring his A game and what resulted was a 6 being notched in Pete's belt. Although Pete did play his sneakers off (but come on, we were basically playing in Petedome on his home turf).
And from the sound of it (all heresay given the fact that I was dead) Bing let his nemesis booze win and tossed the game over to Pete.
When it comes to golf, Pete was hands down the best man, but I don't know if I even consider something that a 60 year old can excel at a sport...so that's a wash.
What I'm saying is that Pete is up 20 points, with three wins under his belt, but this is still anyone's game.
see you on monday for SOM #5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment